A meeting of all known Bowling Clubs, within the County of Renfrew, was held in the County Hotel, Paisley on 12th. April 1878. Twenty-two clubs were represented.
The object of the meeting was to investigate the possibility of introducing an annual competition between all clubs within the County. This was agreed, and so, the Renfrewshire Bowling Association was founded. Much of the credit for this achievement was due to Grosvenor Bowling Club for the spade-work carried out by them, and in particular to their President and Secretary, Messrs. R MacFarlan and PB McKellar respectively, both of whom were appointed President and Secretary of the new Association. For the agreed annual competition, a silver trophy, known as the Lord Lieutenants Cup and bearing the Lord Lieutenants Coat-of-Arms, was presented by Sir Michael Shaw-Stewart, the then Lord Lieutenant of the County of Renfrew. The Trophy was first played for on Thursday June 27th. 1878 and was won by Pollokshaws BC. This Trophy, now known as the County Cup, has been played for each year, since 1878, apart from 1999 when it was twice rained off.
1912 saw the first Inter-County game with Dumbartonshire Bowling Association for the DHL Young Trophy, which Dumbartonshire BA won by 34 shots.
In 1920, a silver trophy was donated by Sir Hugh Shaw-Stewart for single-handed competition, and from that time on the Association continued to build-up all of its trophies competed for to-day, namely pairs, triples, fours, senior fours, junior singles, sponsored fours, under 45’s, centenary cup and top ten.
In addition, over the years, the Association has participated in the Scottish Cities and Counties Competition for the Andrew H Hamilton trophy, the Scottish Inter Counties Top Ten Competition and in 1995 was heavily involved in the formation of the Scottish Bowling League for Under 25’s.
James LM Bell